Tuesday, August 11, 2009

HRH MILLIE


Yesterday we got to go out with the big goats. We went to the orchard pasture and then we all went out into the summer meadow where there is free grass and brush. The grass was over my head so I started crying in a dignified fashion.

No one came for me probably because they were all stuffing their faces with free hay.

So then I started screaming at the top of my lungs because what else could I do.

None of my friends or relatives came. Later my mother said, "I heard you but I could tell you weren't hurt and I was busy."

Busy eating.

There was a big crashing noise of a large creature running through the brush and then the farmer picked me up. I was way up in the air and I could see everything. Down below in the meadow all the goats were eating buckbrush and canary grass.

Winnie the Hun was eating hardhack. Big Orange was snuffling around the pears that had fallen off the pear tree. Zane Gray was up on the old oil tank that had rolled down the hill. How did he get up there?

I could see everything. I was like a Queen.

Later we were up in the front pasture playing and I saw the farmer. I ran over to the farmer so that the farmer could pick me up.

I looked out and down below I could see the fat ladies crowding along the fenceline clamoring for pea hay.

The farmer carried me into the barn and put me down in the grain bin so I could eat all I wanted. I was standing on a mountain of goat candy. I was like a Queen.

Then the farmer carried me over to the stacks of pea hay which no one is allowed to touch because it is like gold. The farmer put me on top of one of the bales so I could eat all I wanted. I was like a Queen.

The farmer's friend from Longbranch came over and saw me standing on top of the wall of pea hay.

"You better be careful," said the farmer's friend. "You will spoil her. She is just a little goat."

"I will try to remember that," said the farmer, brushing the pea hay out of my beautiful coat.

I was like a Queen.

5 comments :

Marigold said...

We bow to the Queen. However, you will notice that the Farmer did not bring out the Peanuts. Obviously that is for when you are older and can appreciate them more.

Rural Rambler said...

Millie I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this blog. Puts a smile on my face each morning. I am reading every morning and getting caught up on "This Goat's Life". Sweet.

Lori said...

Millie,
You are a Queen, well perhaps a Princess. Certainly you know that you come from royal stock. Have the farmer she you the picture of your grandmother, Baby Belle, wearing her crown when she won the Goat of the Year contest. Millie, you would have been so proud; thousands of vote were cast from all around the world.

Anonymous said...

I found this blog as I'm researching for hopefully having goats within the next couple of years.

What a great way to do it!

An insiders view!

Maria said...

What a sweet, sweet story from such a sweet little creature. It read like poetry.